Jul 19, 2007

Rich Internet Apps Offline: What a Concept | The Intelligent Enterprise Blog

On the Intelligent Enterprise Weblog, Nelson King has a post entitled Rich Internet Apps Offline: What a Concept | The Intelligent Enterprise Blog.

The main topic is really about how Google Gears is making it possible to take web content offline. Why is this important? It's simple. Even though access to the world wide web is easier now than it's ever been, there are still times when it's impossible for the mobile traveler to get to their favorite sites. For example, while attending BYU-I, I cannot get certain sites because of the firewall restrictions. Another example, when I travel on the road, I would like to be able to catch up on my reading through Google Reader. This is now possible because of Google Gears.

Lets take this to the world of Family History. Recently I was in Salt Lake at the Family History Library. I could not get internet access on my laptop there. Now imagine that I used FamilyLink as my primary genealogy database. I would be out of luck to do updates and the sort. But if my FamilyLink data were available to me offline through Google Gears, I would still be able to access, edit, and save my data as if I were online. That would be a significant feature.

I hope that FamilyLink figures this out and works toward this in a 1.0 or 2.0 release.


No comments: