Nov 29, 2005

What is really going on in Iraq?

Whether you agree with the war in Iraq or not, I think the American public needs to be informed about some of the good that is going on over there. I really liked this article written by James Q. Wilson at the Wall Street Journal. He believes, as do I, that President Bush needs to speak more specifically about the accomplishments that have been made. He writes a speech that he feels the President should make. Here is an excerpt:


My fellow Americans: We are winning, and winning decisively, in Iraq and the Middle East. We defeated Saddam Hussein's army in just a few weeks. None of the disasters that many feared would follow our invasion occurred. Our troops did not have to fight door to door to take Baghdad. The Iraqi oil fields were not set on fire. There was no civil war between the Sunnis and the Shiites. There was no grave humanitarian crisis.

Saddam Hussein was captured and is awaiting trial. His two murderous sons are dead. Most of the leading members of Saddam's regime have been captured or killed. After our easy military victory, we found ourselves inadequately prepared to defeat the terrorist insurgents, but now we are prevailing.

1 comment:

StuTheWise said...

Hi there. I was just out and about checking the blogs of my fellow Oremites.

I would like to say that as a former serviceman (who would unhesitatingly volunteer to go over were I not disabled) that I support the war effort. Do I believe in the cause? That no longer matters to me. If we pick a fight, we should stick around long enough to win it. North Vietnam was on the verge of surrendering when we pulled out, 57,000+ of Americas warriors dead for nothing. Let's not make the same mistake again.

I also agree with you that a lot of good is happening that the general populous never gets to hear about. Attitudes are changing in the middle east. It is touchy over there, and we need to be careful.

One thing is for sure, if we were to pull out before the war is won, then some crazed monger far worse than Sadam will take the opportunity to crown himself the new dictator of Iraq. Doing that would leave a very bad taste in the mouths of all Iraqis, save for the ones that take over.

One hundred years from now, I'm sure the history books will hail Bush as a hero of the middle east... or a fool. Personally, I prefer that it be the prior.